Thursday, December 20, 2007

Painting Demonstration

I have been quite busy this week, finishing up the school year at the middle school where I have been working, making last minute Christmas preparations, and getting ready for a trip to Florida where I will spend the holidays with my family. These things add up to a short post today. I didn't want to leave you completely art-less so here's something I have been waiting to share with you at the right moment.

I came across a website a few months ago where some
painting demonstrations had been posted. I found it very interesting to see all the steps that go into creating a realistic painting. Notice that the artist, William Whitaker, first drew a rough sketch of the painting and then slowly filled everything in, layering paint onto paint. It must have taken a long time to fully polish a painting like this!

There are a few other demonstrations on the site but you should look at
this one especially. It seems that you would paint the background first and then layer the girl on top but that's not the best way to do it, as you can see in the demonstration. If you were to paint the background first, the colors and textures of the paint would show through the foreground subject (the girl).

Tomorrow I'll post on a related topic.

Return to main page.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Have a nice stay in Florida and if we don't hear from each other any more before holidays: Merry Christmas!!!

Jessica said...

Merry Christmas to you too, Peter! I'm now safely in Florida, though it hasn't been as warm as I had hoped. Oh well. Nice to be with the family, anyway.