Monday, May 12, 2008

New York

I had a great time in New York City this weekend. The trip was tiring so I went straight to sleep when I got home last night. I had planned to post photos of some of the art I saw at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). I bet you'll be able to name that artist on your own...

In order: Paul Klee, Jackson Pollock, Alexander Calder, Pablo Picasso, Vincent van Gogh

That final photo is a close-up of the corner of van Gogh's Starry Night. I noticed something about this painting and a few other van Gogh paintings that I had never noticed before. Look at the edge where the canvas meets the frame. The paint doesn't cover every inch of the canvas. And there are blank patches throughout the paintings. Weird. I had always thought that van Gogh layered the paint but obviously he did not.

Return to main page.

2 comments:

Dana Leeds said...

We're headed to NYC in a few weeks and love art. Thanks for posting these photos... we'll be looking for these parts of art at the museum! Anything else you'd recommend in NYC? Thanks! Dana

Jessica said...

Have fun in NYC! I didn't get to visit very many museums when I went so I don't have any more art-related suggestions. You should definitely go to Carnegie Deli for lunch one day, though. Of course the sandwiches are great, but the cheesecake... there are no words.